Heli Glenorchy can offer hunters access to some of the most premier hunting areas in the region. Most locations offer a range of wild species such as Fallow and Red Deer, and in some areas, Chamois and Thar, Ducks and Canadian Geese.
Between our guides and pilots, we have over 40 years of hunting experience in the area, so we can also provide you with excellent advice on locations and seasonal game movements.
If you're a local hunter, Heli Glenorchy's drop off hunt service provides quick and easy access to hunting wilderness. Hunt for a day, or stay overnight. Some of the hunting blocks we have access to have huts that you overnight in, or you can camp.
Alternatively, if you want to make a day, weekend or week of it, our guides can offer you a world-renown hunting experience.
One of the best hunting periods in New Zealand is from March to July. During this period a lot of the species above are going through their rut providing hunters with the best possible stalking experience. We recommend hunters make their reservations well in advance of this busy time.
If you want to explore, fly with us.
Hunting trips and transfers are priced based on your requirements, so please contact us for enquiries and pricing. All quotes will be NZD and inclusive of GST.
Flights are weather dependent. Weather checks are made one hour prior to departure and where appropriate Heli Glenorchy will offer alternative options. Occasionally flight paths or landing locations may alter at the pilot’s discretion. Phone 0800 4354 49 for a weather check.
We can take up to six hunters in one helicopter, however there are restrictions on weight. Please talk to our team regarding passengers and loads. Groups larger than 6 are no problem, just talk to our team. Until further notice, due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements, some restrictions may apply. Our team will chat to you about such restrictions at the time of enquiry.
What to bring
If you're a keen, local hunter you'll know what to bring. However, here a few things to consider and remember:
- Don't forget your firearms licence
- Hunting permits, especially if you are hunting on any of the Department of Conservation hunting blocks
- We recommend you carry a mountain radio and personal locator beacon
- Rifles need to be unloaded with all blots removed
- Ammunition is to be packed separately
- If you are camping, please be sure of the weight of your gear. It will be weighed prior to loading in the helicopter.
- Please talk to our team regarding dangerous items such as LPG bottles etc. Keep these items separate for ground crew to load.
If you are travelling nationally or internationally we can help you arrange all of your hunting and camping equipment to be provided. These items are subject to availability.Please let us know what equipment you may need, or if you need a guide so we can provide you with an accurate quote.
Hunting block locations
- Department of Conservation hunting blocks
- Fiordland (enquire)
- Mount Aspiring National Park
- West Coast
- Haast Hunting hunting blocks
- Other locations available on request